2. What is Pancake Day?
3. When is Pancake Day?
4. How do I register to hold an event?
5. How do I organise my event?
6. Where do I hold my event?
7. How do I publicise my event?
8. When will I receive my event host pack?
9. How can I help Uniting if I’m unable to host an event?
10. How much should we charge for each pancake?
11. Do I charge GST?
12. What do we do with the money we raise?
13. What if I can’t find my Funds Raised Form?
14. Where do the funds go?
15. Safety is paramount, please read the guidelines in your host pack
16. Basic pancake recipe
17. How do we cook lots of pancakes?
18. How big do we make the pancakes?
19. How long do we cook the pancakes?
20. How do we stop pancakes sticking to the BBQ?
21. How do we keep our pancakes hot and fresh?
Uniting Vic.Tas is the community services organisation of the Uniting Church in Victoria and Tasmania. We’ve been supporting Australians for over 100 years.
We’re about building capacity and confidence in children, young people and families, people with disability, older people and people newly arrived in Australia. We work with people at risk of or experiencing financial crisis, homelessness, mental illness and problems with alcohol and other drugs, by empowering them with the support they need to succeed.
Our services reach to Albury-Wodonga in the north, Mallacoota in East Gippsland, the Wimmera region in the west, and across Tasmania.
Pancake Day is our annual Uniting community fundraising event held on or around Shrove Tuesday. Shrove Tuesday is traditionally the final day to eat all the fat, eggs and dairy products in your kitchen before the start of Lent – a time of abstinence and reflection in the 40 days before Easter.
Each year hundreds of people register to hold Pancake Day events in their homes, schools, churches, businesses and community groups. They cook and sell pancakes to raise funds to support Uniting’s work with people living life on the margins.
This year Pancake Day will be on Tuesday 25 February 2020 and everyone is encouraged to join in the fun by hosting a Pancake Day event. If you are unable to hold an event on that date, you can do so anytime up until April the 30th.
It’s easy! Simply register online, or call us on toll free 1800 060 543
Holding an event is fun and easy! When you register you will receive a complimentary host pack which includes a planning guide with all the information you need including choosing a location, publicising your event, and other helpful hints.
The pack will give you lot of tips, ideas and fundraising tools to help make your event a success, including posters and an apron. If you get a bit stuck, don’t hesitate to contact us.
You can hold an event anywhere! The workplace, schools and colleges, local parks, cafes and shopping centres, the main street of your suburb, churches, sporting clubs and in the home are all popular venues for Pancake Day events.
Your host pack contains promotional material and a media release for you to send to your local media. Try and make your event really creative so that the media will want to be involved – perhaps have a pancake flipping race or a pancake eating competition, arrange interviews with your local radio station, invite local identities such as the Mayor or local footy players.
You will receive your host pack once you have registered. If you have already registered, your pack will be sent to you as soon as possible.
There are other ways you can support Uniting if you’re unable to host an event:
- Attend a public Pancake Day event near you.
- Spread the word and encourage someone you know to host an event so you can attend as a guest!
- Make a tax deductible donation online or by calling 1800 668 426
It’s up to you what you charge but make sure it is more than covering the costs of holding the event.
No, all registered Pancake Day events raising funds for Uniting are exempt from charging GST on the sale of pancakes.
Make your fundraising count so our programs receive your hard-earned money. Please try to submit all funds raised within four weeks of your event.
A. Refer to the instructions on your Funds Submission Form and send it back to us in the pre-paid envelope provided, or email it to us at email@example.com
B. Deposit online via EFT, and pay into:
- Account name – Uniting Vic.Tas Fundraising
- BSB – 033 005
- Account number – 347047
- Include your Pancake Day Fundraiser ID number.
C. Go to a branch of Westpac and deposit your funds using the same banking details above
- Every event coordinator received a unique Pancake Day Fundraiser ID number on their Authority to Fundraise letter
- Please ensure you include this unique ID# as the reference number on all bank deposits
- Please ensure you post or email the Funds Raised Submission Form – including your unique ID number – back to Uniting regardless of how you deposit your funds. Using this unique ID number will ensure we know who each deposit came from and we can provide a receipt accordingly.
Download a Funds submission form here.
Funds raised from pancake sales help Uniting provide support to vulnerable and marginalised people in our community.
Pancake Day is all about local people helping local people. All money raised in Victoria and Tasmania will support services within these states.
Uniting provides a diverse range of services which you can explore on our website.
By holding a Pancake Day event, your efforts will not only be fun but will go towards helping the extensive community care work of Uniting Vic.Tas
It’s the simple pancake recipe that’s gone viral worldwide, courtesy of Taste.com.au
Use a BBQ with a flat top. Just be sure to clean off any meaty taste with fresh lemons before cooking.
It’s up to you really but we recommend about the size of a saucer or small dinner plate.
When the pancake has been flipped on both sides, is golden brown on the outside, fluffy and fully cooked on the inside, it’s ready!
After each batch of pancakes, be sure to spray the hot plate with cooking oil. Don’t use butter because it burns on BBQs.
Stack 5–10 pancakes, wrap them in foil and pack them in an esky. Polystyrene containers are good for keeping pancakes warm too.